Electrical Safety Testing
Vipac’s Electrical Safety Testing laboratory provides independent electrical safety testing services for a range of cables, personal and household appliances and tools. Testing is conducted in the Electrical Safety laboratory by a dedicated team utilising the latest equipment and instrumentation.
Electrical safety is an important issue for manufacturers, consumers and authorities. Electrical safety testing helps ensure public safety as only electrical appliances and equipment conforming to the relevant Standards are permitted to be offered for sale.
Vipac has NATA accreditation to test to the below Standards:
- AS/NZS 3100 Approval and test specification- General requirements for electrical equipment
- AS/NZS 60335.1 Safety of household and similar electrical appliances (excluding Clauses 19.11.4 and 22.201 and Annexes F and H) and IEC 60335-1 (excluding Clause 19.11.4 and Annexes F and H) covering part 1: General requirements and the part 2 series of the Standards for the following:
Part .2.6 Stationary cooking ranges, hobs, ovens, and similar appliances
Part .2.7 Washing machines
Part .2.9 Grills, toasters, and similar portable cooking appliances
Part 2.13 Deep fryers and fry pans
Electric deep fat fryers
Other appliances intended for household use only in which oil is used when cooking
Part 2.14 Kitchen machines
Coffee mills not exceeding 500g hopper capacity
|Grain grinders, not exceeding 3 l hopper capacity
Ice-cream machines, including those for use in refrigerators and freezers
Part 2.15 Appliances for heating liquids
Kettles and other appliances for boiling water, having a rated capacity not exceeding 10 l
|Pressure cookers having a rated cooking pressure not exceeding 140 kPa and a rated capacity not exceeding 10 l
Part .2.21 Storage water heaters
Part .2.23 Appliances for skin and hair care
Part .2.30 Room heaters
Heaters for use in greenhouses
Ceiling mounted heat lamp appliances
Part .2.31 Range hoods and other cooking fume extractors
Part .2.35 Water heaters – instantaneous
Part .2.41 Pumps
Part .2.45 Soldering irons
Part .2.61 Thermal storage room heaters
Part .2.75 Commercial dispensing appliances and vending machines
Part .2.78 Outdoor barbecues
Part .2.84 Toilets
Part .2 102 Gas, oil and solid-fuel burning appliances having electrical connections
- AS/NZS 60745 Hand held motor operated electric tools, and equivalent IEC standards:Part 1 – Safety
Part .2.1 Impact drills and drills in general
Part .2.3 Grinders and sanders
Part .2.5 Circular saws
Part .2.11 Jig saws
Part .2.15 Hedge trimmers
- AS/NZS 3191 – Electric flexible cords
- AS/NZS 3808 – Insulating and sheathing materials for electric cables, excluding the following tests:Exudation of plasticizer
Acid and corrosive gas emission
Melt flow index
Carbon black content
Environmental stress crack resistance
- AS/NZS 5000.1 – Electric cables – polymeric insulated. Part 1 – For working voltages up to and including 0.6 /1 (1.2) kV
- AS/NZS 5000.2 – Electric cables – polymeric insulated. Part 2 – For working voltages up to and including 450/750 V
- AS/NZS 5000.3 – Electric cables – polymeric insulated. Part 3 – Multicore control cables
- AS/NZS 1125 – Conductors in insulated electric cables and flexible cords, excluding the analysis of copper content of conductors clause 2.2.
- AS/NZS 1660.1 – Test methods for electric cables, cords and conductors. Method 1: Conductors and metallic components.
- AS/NZS 1660.2.1 – Test methods for electric cables, cords and conductors. Method 2.1: Insulation, extruded semi-conductive screens and non-metallic sheaths – Methods for general application.
- AS/NZS 1660.2.2 – Test methods for electric cables, cords and conductors. Method 2.2: Insulation, extruded semi-conductive screens and non-metallic sheaths – Methods specific to elastomeric, XLPE and XLPVC materials.
- AS/NZS 1660.2.3 – Test methods for electric cables, cords and conductors. Method 2.3: Insulation, extruded semi-conductive screens and non-metallic sheaths – Methods specific to PVC and halogen free thermoplastic materials.
- AS/NZS 1660.3 – Test methods for electric cables, cords and conductors. Method 3 – Electrical tests.
- AS/NZS 1660.4 – Test methods for electric cables, cords and conductors. Method 4 – Complete cable and flexible cord.
- AS/NZS 1660.5.6 – Test methods for electric cables, cords and conductors. Method 5.6 – Fire tests. Test for vertical flame propagation for a single insulated wire or cable.
Other tests provided by Vipac to Australian Standards for cables include:
- Tensile strength and elongation at rupture before ageing
- Tensile strength and elongation at rupture after ageing
- Loss of mass
- Pressure at high temperature
- Heath shock
- Hot set
- Immersion in oil
- Voltage and high voltage test
- Flexing test
- Bending test
- Combustion propagation test
- Smoke density test
The NATA scope of accreditation also includes degree of protection (IP Code) for appliances according to AS 60529 and IEC 60529
Other tests provided by Vipac to Australian and IEC Standards regarding appliances and tools include:
- Ageing tests on motors
- Insulation resistance
- Electric strength
- Moisture resistance
- Leakage current
- Overload protection of transformers and associated circuits
- Mechanical strength
- Heating test
- Resistance to heat, fire and tracking.
Vipac provides fire hazard testing in accordance with AS/NZS 60695 and AS/NZS 60112 and the IEC parent documents where applicable:
- Glow wire tests
- Ball pressure tests
- Needle flame test
- Comparative and proof tracking index
Contact us on +61 (0) 3 9647 9700 to discuss electrical safety testing of other products that may not be listed.
Energy labelling and MEPS
In addition to electrical safety testing, Vipac also provides energy labelling and MEPS testing services for a broad range of products.
Research & Development
Vipac is a registered Research Service Provider (RSP Code: 15701), meaning that R&D work conducted at Vipac may be eligible for the R&D Tax Incentive.
The Vipac Advantage
Vipac’s clients enjoy many benefits including:
- Fast project turnaround
- NATA endorsed reports
- Personalised service
- Value for money
- Electrical safety expertise
- Dedicated Electrical Safety Testing laboratory.