MEPS and Energy Labelling
Under Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards (GEMS) legislation, the Australian GEMS Regulator, the Department of the Environment and Energy and the New Zealand Regulator (Energy Efficiency & Conversation Authority – EECA) are responsible for the energy labelling registrations including MEPS.
Vipac tests the following products that have a mandatory Energy Labelling Scheme (GEMS) requirement in order to sell the product in Australia:
- Clothes washers
- Clothes Dryers
- Refrigerators and Freezers
- Electric Water Heaters
We also offer testing of other products under the Energy Labelling Scheme:
- Three-phase air-conditioners
- Swimming pool pumps – expected to become mandatory in 2020.
We conduct MEPS and energy consumption testing to the relevant Australian/New Zealand standard which define the test methodology to measure the energy consumption of the appliance and determine it’s star rating.
MEPS (Minimum Energy Performance Standards) are mandatory for the following products:
- Refrigerators & freezers
- Single phase air-conditioners up to 65kW cooling capacity
- Three phase air-conditioners up to 65kW cooling capacity
- Commercial refrigerators
- Commercial building chillers
- Close control air-conditioners
- Hot Water Heaters (Electric)
- Hot Water Heaters (Gas).