Adopting best industry practices, all of Vipac’s laboratories are National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) accredited and AS/NZS ISO 9001:2015 compliant. Located within our offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide are the following:
- Our 16-metre boundary layer wind tunnel can simulate wind conditions of severe hurricane zones, such as Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- In our on-site fabrication studio we make models of developments and the surrounding area, typically at a scale of 1:400. This studio enables our engineers to prototype, model and fabricate customised elements to test unusual materials and prove their feasibility to clients.
- Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations are performed on our two multiple CPU computer clusters.
- Our 3D printer utilises high resolution white sandstone powder/resin.
Windows & Façades
- Our 2.4m x 2.5m test rig is used to measure water penetration, air infiltration, ultimate strength and deflection in windows and façades.
- We used our full-scale 8m x 6m test rig on the Perth Arena project, performing wind load deflection, ultimate strength validation, water penetration testing and air infiltration measurements.
- Two laboratories (in Melbourne and Sydney) to test against commercial and military test standards, as well as to client-specific requirements.
- Thermal chambers with temperature range between -70 to +180°C, and humidity testing between 0-100% RH.
- Larger walk-in chambers to test large equipment.
- Thermal-shock chamber for stress testing of smaller components – ideal for identifying faults in plastics manufacturing and in PCB design.
- Salt spray chambers for comparative testing of materials and finishes, and verifying resistance to corrosion.
- Altitude chambers for testing at high altitudes – used as part of shipping and transport testing.
- Ingress Protection (IP Rating) testing also available.
- Four electro-dynamic shakers for vibration testing, sizes range from 10kN up to 60kN, capable of supporting payloads up to 700kg.
- Hydraulic shaker tables for testing larger loads (>2,000kg) at higher displacements.
- Mechanical shock and drop testing machines for assessing ability to survive high shock loads.
- Light-weight shock testing machine used to validate products for shipboard equipment against MIL-STD 901D.
- Australia’s only commercially available NATA accredited indoor solar simulator with maximum area 5m2 variable up to 1100W/m2
- Solar tracker with dual axis tracking mechanism which allows high precision perpendicular and off-angle IAM testing with maximum area of 6m2
- Outdoor test rig facilities up to maximum of 12m2 with adjustable inclination and orientation
- Climate-controlled test laboratories able to simulate extreme cold and hot conditions with simulated solar irradiance.
- Wind machine capable of producing winds up to 95 km/hr
- Laboratory grade combustion and NOx analyzers
- Temperature hazard test rig
- Temperature control chambers (cold and hot) for component and appliance testing
- Endurance cycling apparatus
- High pressure hydrostatic test equipment
- Lint machine and test chamber
- Test gasses, full gas meter range, sampling hoods, test pans, etc. in accordance with relevant requirements of Australian Standards.
- Refrigeration Test Chambers with high-end test instrumentation (energy meters and data loggers), stabilised voltage system and temperature controlled bays utilising an advanced water chilled cooling and airflow supply system design.
- Enthalpy Test Chambers which simulate a range of temperature and humidity conditions for various types of air conditioners and heat pumps, with a uniquely developed remote system enabling us to manage the chamber’s operation remotely.
- Whitegoods Chamber where we test clothes washers, dryers and dishwashers.
Micro-Climate & Thermal Comfort
- Our ISO 3741 compliant Air Distribution Laboratory – the largest independent NATA-accredited testing laboratory of its kind in Asia Pacific.
- Measures 9m x 4m x 4.2m – large enough to model three dimensional airflow patterns.
- Capable of recording smoke patterns and flow visualisation.
- Produces measured flow rates from 10L / s to 2,500L / s, at static pressure up to 1kPa.
- Air can be supplied at temperatures between 10 ºC to 45 ºC (for non-isothermal testing).
- Connected to a second reverberation chamber (5.2m x 5.2m x 5.2m), which enables insertion loss testing.
Vipac is quite possibly the only facility with acoustics and vibration consultants on the same site as our wind tunnel, as well as full-scale façade testing capabilities. This enables us to adopt an holistic approach to engineering, enabling one point of contact for our customers.