Vipac offers industry-leading wind engineering consulting services to determine the wind effects on buildings, structures and the environment. Vipac partners with architects, planners and developers across Australia to improve the design of buildings and enhance their structural integrity, reliability, comfort and efficiency.
Vipac has open circuit boundary layer wind tunnels, where natural wind is simulated to create environments that range from open country to city centres. Models of your development and surrounding area, typically at a scale of 1:400, are created at the on-site model and fabrication centre.
A desktop study is recommended for smaller projects, structures or façade elements that are not normally responsive to wind tunnel testing. It is also the ideal preliminary step to evaluating building design layouts, identifying potential complications and implementing alterations at the early stages of development, thereby minimising the need for redesign in the near future. The studies are based on experience and empirical research.
Some of the desktop studies we perform:
- Wind Impact Assessments
- “Far Field” Dispersion Studies
- Other analyses based on the Australian Wind Standard AS/NZS 1170.2:2011 for wind loads on buildings and structural responses.
Wind tunnel tests provide information that cannot be obtained from any other analytical, empirical or computational techniques.
Providing the most accurate information, the tests will help you to understand the wide range of wind conditions and directions which can occur around your building development. In turn, the test results will enable you to optimise the shape, surface and protrusion of your development with two major benefits; enhancing safety and comfort and maximising design.
Wind Tunnel Testing will also facilitate:
- Quick verification of the effectiveness of design modifications for wind control and whether additional dynamic controls, such as damping systems, are required
- Polar plotting results for single-point data
- Detailed information on wind speeds at all locations around a development
- Flow visualisation and omni-directional wind speed sensor measurements
Some of the types of wind tunnel tests we perform:
- Pedestrian Level Wind Studies
- Cladding Pressure Mapping
- Structural Studies/Direct Force Balance Testing
- Physical modelling for “near field” dispersion studies (up to 1km)
Vipac is also able to assist in the following fields and test types:
- Design Pressure Analysis
- Cladding Pressure Mapping
- Wind Noise Tests
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) assessments, including car park ventilation, atrium fire and smoke behaviour
- Wind Rain Tests
Other services Vipac offers that are related to Wind Engineering:
- We can provide Air Quality assessments.
- We can provide ESD reports, Facades testing, Air Testing testing, and other building testing as part of our Building Technology and Design services.
- We can conduct noise assessments, as part of our Acoustics and Vibration consulting services.