With over 50 years’ experience in performance testing, our engineers are experts in testing the water and energy efficiencies of a range of products, including whitegoods (refrigerators, dishwashers, clothes washers and dryers), ducted and non-ducted air conditioners, swimming pool pumps, electric water heaters, and a range of HVAC components.
Our NATA accredited laboratories are ISO/IEC 17025 and AS/NZS ISO 9001:2015 certified, ensuring our test laboratories and environmental chambers are independently audited and international best practices are followed.
Our scope of performance testing capabilities is extensive. We offer:
Compliance Testing (read more...)
Compliance testing is conducted to assist an appliance to meet:
- Equipment Energy Efficiency Program (E3) for Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS)
- Energy Rating Labelling scheme Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards scheme (WELS)
- Energy Star Rating scheme (ESR).
- Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards (GEMS) and Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards scheme (WELS):
- In Australia, GEMS and WELS Registers: Vipac can help Australian white-goods manufacturers register their appliances with the GEMS and WELS Regulators, upon successful completion of testing under the Energy and Water Star Rating schemes.
- In New Zealand – Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority (EECA): Vipac can help New Zealand based white-goods manufacturers register their appliances with the Energy Efficiency & Conversion Authority (EECA), upon successful completion of testing under the Energy Efficiency (Energy Using Products) Regulations 2002.
MEPS and Energy Labelling:
- Vipac can test the following products that must meet Energy Labelling requirements prior to entering the Australian market:
- Clothes washers
- Clothes dryers
- Refrigerators and freezers
- Electric Water Heaters
- We also offer testing of other products under the Energy Labelling Scheme:
- Swimming pool pump units – measurement of energy consumption and performance – expected to become mandatory in 2020
Vipac can test the following products which must meet the MEPS requirements:
- Household refrigerators and freezers
- Single phase air-conditioners
- Three phase air-conditioners
- Closed control air-conditioners
- Electric Hot Water Heaters
Check Testing (read more...)
Vipac’s NATA accredited laboratory conducts check testing as part of the E3 (Equipment Energy Efficiency) and EECA compliance program to help identify:
- If a product’s model meets the Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards (GEMS) level requirements.
- Whether energy labelling accurately represents the model’s performance claims.
Stage 1 – Check Testing (mandatory)
The Department of the Environment and Energy commissions Vipac, as an independent laboratory, to conduct testing to verify that a product on the market meets the relevant standards.
Stage 2 – Check Testing (optional if Step 1 fails);
Vipac can support manufacturers and test products which failed during Stage 1 and verify whether it meets or does not meet the relevant standard. This stage is funded by the manufacturer.
Eligibility Testing (read more...)
Vipac provides eligibility and performance testing for STC entitlements to ensure Solar Water Heaters and Heat Pump Water Heaters meet the requirements under the Clean Energy Regulator and Essential Services Commission.
Due Diligence Testing (read more...)
Vipac offers guidance in the preparation of due diligence compliance folders, for risk management and routine quality assurance, when only a voluntary scheme exists to ensure product safety. This is strongly recommended by the ACCC.
Research & Development (read more...)
Vipac can support manufacturers with R&D projects who are seeking to improve the performance and safety of their appliances before entering the Australian or New Zealand markets.
Other Testing (read more...)
Vipac can perform other performance testing types, including but not limited to:
- Understanding the effect of manufacturing tolerances,
- Screen Testing,
- Adding independent value to performance claims,
- Providing design assistance for new technology ideas and comparative purposes.
Some of the products we test:
Air Conditioners (read more...)
Types of air conditioners Vipac test include:
- Non-ducted A/C units
- Window wall mounted A/C units
- Ducted A/C units
- Packaged A/C units
- Cassette type A/C units
- Multi-split A/C units
- Double ducted A/C units
- Portable A/C units
- Water cooled A/C units
- Evaporative coolers
Vipac is the only independent NATA accredited laboratory for testing air-conditioners to the applicable standards AS/NZS 3823, AS 2913 and relevant international standards ISO, AHRI/ANSI and GB/T.
We test numerous types of air conditioners and similar thermal products. Testing is conducted in our Balanced Ambient Calorimeter or Enthalpy Chamber, up to a capacity of 9kW and 25kW respectively, using either the calorimeter method or the air-enthalpy method.
During testing, we measure air flow, thermal capacity, electrical energy consumption including stand-by power, power factor, energy efficiency, MEPS criteria, and ERL (energy labelling).
Our NATA accreditation includes testing for the new Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating (SEER) label.
Vipac can assist you in registering and selling AC units with GEMS, as well as providing an independent laboratory to conduct your R&D.
Dishwashers, Clothes Washers and Dryers, Refrigerators and Freezers (read more...)
We test the energy and water efficiencies of white-goods, made for both domestic and commercial markets.
We test the appliances listed below to the following Australian and IEC standards:
- AS/NZS 2040.1 & AS/NZS 2040.2 - Clothes washers
- AS/NZS 2442.1 & AS/NZS 2442.2 – Clothes dryers
- AS/NZS 2007.1 & AS/NZS 2007.2 - Dishwashers
- AS/NZS 4474.1 & AS/NZS 4474.2; AS/NZS 4474:2018 & AS/NZS IEC 62552-1 & -2 & -3 - Refrigerators/Freezers
Vipac is NATA-accredited for all of the above tests, including the latest refrigerator standards.
Vipac is a member of the industry group CESA (Consumer Electronics Suppliers Association).
Swimming Pool Pumps (read more...)
Vipac provides swimming pool testing for GEMS registration to the Australian Standard AS 5102.1 – 2019 - Performance and energy consumption of household electrical appliances – Swimming pool pump units.
Vipac tests all pool pump types, including single speed, dual speed, multi-speed and variable speed and includes testing of:
- Power factor and input power
- Energy star rating
- Weighted energy factor
- Projected annual energy consumption (PAEC)
- Sound power measurement, using acoustics testing in our NATA accredited reverberation chamber.
Heat Pumps and Electric Hot Water Heaters (read more...)
Vipac is NATA-accredited to test heat pump hot water systems to AS/NZS 2712, AS/NZS 5125, AS/NZS 4692, and related standards.
We're also NATA-accredited to test various types of water heaters, including:
- Electrical Water Heaters (AS/NZS 4692)
- Heat Pump Water Heaters (AS/NZS 5125)
All of these types of water heaters also have WaterMark certification requirements to AS 3498.
Heat pump water heaters and solar water heaters are eligible for STC entitlements under the Clean Energy Regulator's Renewable Energy Target.
Quality dampers minimise property damage and ultimately save lives as they are a crucial element of preventing the spread of fire and smoke. To develop and verify dampers to an adequate standard, extensive performance testing is required.
Vipac's Air Distribution and Acoustics Testing Laboratory provides a highly specialised facility for design, development and performance testing of all types of dampers (fire/smoke dampers, pressure relief dampers, VCD, NRD, etc).
It is the largest independent NATA-certified testing of its type in the Asia Pacific region.
Testing can be undertaken in accordance with Singapore Standards, UL, AMCA, BS, ISO and Australian Standards.
Performance tests include:
- Air flow measurements,
- Acoustic measurements,
- Smoke visualisation,
- Cycling tests,
- Temperature degradation tests,
- Operation tests,
- Dynamic closure tests,
- Closed blade air leakage tests (ambient air),
- Closed blade air leakage tests (at high temperatures).
Performance testing of air distribution is key to determining the effectiveness of specific air distribution systems and components. Vipac’s NATA accredited independent air diffusion and reverberation laboratory is the largest in the Asia Pacific region.
The Air Distribution Laboratory, measuring 9m x 4.2m, can be used to conduct full scale mock ups of various systems, and is large enough to allow airflow patterns to be modelled in three dimensional space. Flow visualisation and video recording of smoke patterns can also be readily undertaken. Supplied with a ‘quiet air supply’ it can produce measured flow rates from 10L/s to 3.500 L/s at static pressure up to 1kPa. Air can be supplied at temperatures between 2oC to 50oC for non-isothermal testing. The laboratory, conforming to ISO 3741, is connected to a second reverberation chamber (5.2m x 5.2m x 5.2m), which allows for the testing of insertion loss.
- Testing to ASHRAE, ARI, ADC, AMCA, ISO, BSI and Australian standards,
- Fan testing (up to 500kW),
- Air diffusion testing (10oC to 45oC) and ADPI,
- Sound testing/sound power determination,
- Leakage testing of smoke and fire dampers,
- Airflow visualisation,
- Measurements of flow, pressure drop and throw,
- Silencer insertion loss – static and dynamic,
- Water penetration testing of weather louvres.
Systems and component testing:
- Fans - design, development and performance testing,
- Louvres and vents – design, development and performance testing,
- Grille, diffusers and other HVAC component testing,
- VAV (Variable Air Volume) terminals (singular and multiple outlets),
- Evaporative air conditioners,
- Duct (Silencer), including general domestic ventilation, cooling/heating and industrial use,
- Light/air boots, mixing boxes,
- Fibrous insulation, dampers.
Chilled Beams Performance Testing
Using passive and active chilled beams can greatly assist your building by using far less energy than other HVAC systems, in turn significantly improving its overall thermal comfort, and reducing operating costs.
Vipac has extensive capabilities with chilled beams and all other aspects of HVAC systems. Services include:
- Testing the cooling, thermal and environmental performances of chilled beams during product development,
- Tailored installation method assessment,
- Simulation ‘mock’ up testing for specific project applications. Mock up testing ensures the installation, will meet a building’s required cooling and comfort criteria. It also enables for real world scenarios to be explored and experienced in a controlled environment, before installation on site,
- Comparative product evaluation. As we independently test HVAC products during development, stages, we are uniquely placed to advise what the best products on the market are for your project’s specifications.
Duct (Silencer) Performance Testing
An extensive range of air conditioning ducts come with a range of features for different applications, from general domestic ventilation to custom-design for industrial use in the removal of dust and fumes. However, ductwork can generate unwanted noises from fans and other mechanical systems and cause occupant distress.
Attenuation of sound in ducts and pipes is a fundamental area of research within Vipac’s NATA accredited testing laboratory. Vipac offers a range of services to help your building meet acoustical and airflow performance requirements, defined by different standards and specified by different users.
Vipac’s duct (silencer) performance tests measure friction loss, airflow performance, pressure, air leakage, thermal performance, static or dynamic insertion loss, break-out noise, and smoke visualisation.
Fan Performance Testing
Vipac’s Fan Development Laboratory is the only independent NATA registered fan facility in the Asian-Pacific region, used for optimising design development, and fan performance.
With the availability of almost limitless power (up to 500W) and test laboratories up to 60m in length, Vipac can test any fan in commercial production for:
- Air flow measurements
- Acoustic measurements
- Smoke visualisation
- Performance curves
- Power measurements
Vipac’s testing laboratory maintains several fan test rigs, which comply with the requirements of AMCA, ASHRAE, ARI, BS, and AS Standards for centrifugal, axial, propeller, and ceiling fans. Twin Reverberation Chambers, of up to 21m length, enable testing of radiated and discharge sound power levels, and air flows at any static duty point.
Fan design for minimum noise is a major thrust in the laboratory and analytical methods such as CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) and axial fan design, using the R.A. Wallis methodology, are widely adopted.
Grille, Diffuser and other HVAC Component Testing
HVAC components may be designed for ceiling, wall or floor mounting for use in supply or exhaust air applications. Vipac’s Air Distribution and Acoustics Testing Laboratory provides a highly-specialised facility for design, development, and performance testing of air distribution systems and individual HVAC components like grilles, diffusers, light troffers, ventilators, louvres, and chilled beams.
In the air diffusion and reverberation laboratory airflow patterns are modelled in three-dimensional space. Flow visualisation and video recording of smoke patterns can be readily undertaken. Supplied with a “quiet air supply”, it can produce measured flow rates from 10 L/s to 3.500 L/s at static pressures up to 1kPa. Air can be supplied at temperatures between 5oC- 50oC for non-isothermal testing.
Testing can be undertaken in accordance with ASHRAE, ARI, ADC, AMCA, ISO, BSI, and Australian standards.
Performance tests include:
- Air flow measurements
- Acoustic measurements
- Smoke visualisation
- Temperature (air, radiant, surface)
- Discharge coefficient
- Water penetration
- Air quality
Louvre Performance Testing
Selecting the correct louvre system that can withstand harsh weather conditions, whilst also allowing efficient inward and outward air movements, can be critical to the performance of your building.
Vipac provides a highly specialised facility for design, development, and louvre performance testing. Vipac can conduct performance ratings of all-weather or performance louvres (and vents) to establish discharge coefficient and effective aerodynamic areas (AS 4740).
Performance tests include:
- Rain resistance
- Effective aerodynamic area
- Discharge coefficient
- Wind loading
- Acoustic Performance
- Smoke Visualisation
VAV Terminals Performance Testing
To achieve occupant comfort, it is important your building’s VAV (Variable Air Volume) terminals are operating at their optimal level.
Vipac uses its two reverberation chambers for performance testing of VAV terminals with single and multiple outlets (or fan powered), where both radiated and discharge sound power levels are measured simultaneously at minimum operating pressure and rated airflows (ARI 880).
Performance Testing includes:
- Air flow
- Discharge noise
- Casing radiation
- Casing leakage
Other services Vipac offers that are related to Performance Testing:
- We can perform Facades, Air Tightness and a range of other testing types within our Building Technology and Design service offering.
- We can test your products' response to Vibration, Shock, Salt spray, Fatigue, Temperature and Humidity.
- We are able to conduct Electrical Safety and Ingress Protection (IP) Testing.