Wind Engineering Services – Wind Loads & Effects on Buildings
Vipac offers industry-leading Wind Engineering consulting services to architects, engineers, planners and developers to improve the quality of buildings and structures. By understanding how wind loads and buildings interact, you can:
- Minimise the amount of building materials needed
- Increase the saleable floor space
- Reduce unnecessary costs and risks
- Get Planning Applications (i.e. DA, MCU, EIS, ERA) approved faster
- Ensure a reliable design that offers occupancy comfort and structural safety.
Watch Vipac being interviewed by Channel 9 News here, highlighting the importance of Wind Engineering as buildings become taller and conditions windier.
Vipac’s state-of-the-art facilities
- Two open-circuit boundary layer wind tunnels where natural wind is simulated for environments that range from open country to city centres.
- An onsite model and fabrication centre where we make models of your development and surrounding area, typically at a scale of 1:400.
- A full scale field testing site.
What tests do we offer?
- Wind conditions for public safety in outdoor areas
- Other analyses based on the Australian Wind Standard AS/NZS 1170.2:2011 for wind loads on buildings and structural response
- Desktop natural ventilation assessments.
Wind tunnel testing
- Wind conditions for public safety in outdoor areas on pedestrian levels around the building
- Wind-induced structural response and cladding loads imposed on the building and its dynamic response to them
- Structural vibrations
- Optimal locations of ventilation inlets and exhausts
- Dispersal and concentrations of pollutants expelled from the building
- Design pressure analysis
- Building internal flows and natural ventilation
- Full scale building component assemblies, e.g. perforated plate, architectural features, etc.
- Wind driven rain
- Wind noise
- Car park ventilation