Acoustics – Hotel and Apartment Developments
For Hotel and Residential developments, occupant comfort is of the highest importance. One of the many factors to consider is acoustic integrity.
The acoustic environment is controlled by the performance of elements such as room shape and size, construction materials and surface finishes. The sound transmission class specification of doors, walls and ceilings requires careful selection in order to block out unwanted noise without sacrificing other important design aspects. Consideration also needs to be given to the impact of services such as plumbing, electrical and mechanical systems as well as external noise intrusion, particularly from road traffic noise.
Australia & New Zealand standard AS/NZS 2107 and BCA gives recommended design criteria for conditions affecting the acoustic environment within occupied spaces. The recommended design noise levels and reverberation times take into account the function of the area and apply to the noise level measured within an unoccupied space, which is ready for occupancy.
Design noise levels for spaces in hotels and residential buildings are applicable to steady state or quasi-steady state noises and are the reference criteria for selection and assessment of building components that mitigate noise external to the building (e.g. traffic noise, industrial noise) but also within the building (e.g. building services noise).
Areas in which an office development can benefit from improved acoustics include:
- Control of internal noise levels for occupant comfort
- Sound insulation for acoustic privacy between spaces
- Façade design to minimise environmental noise intrusion
- Avoidance of cross-talk via duct work between adjacent rooms
- Detailed design of ventilation systems to minimise mechanical services noise
- Specifications for audio visual systems if required
- Reverberation control to improve speech intelligibility and reduce the build up of noise.
Vipac’s engineers apply their expertise to all stages of a project, from feasibility, option and concept studies through to the design, construction and operational phases.
- Novotel, Melbourne on Collins
- Hyatt Regency Hotel, Sanctuary Cove
- Sheraton Mirage Resort, Port Douglas
- Hilton Hotel Cairns
- Jupiter Casino, Hotel Conrad, Gold Coast
- Marriott, Surfers Paradise
- Royal Pines Resort, Brisbane
- Great Barrier Reef Wonderland, Townsville
- 209 Wanchai Road, Hong Kong
- Gold Coast Hotel, Hong Kong
- Sheraton Suhzou, China
- Westin (Thai Wah), Bangkok
- Peninsula Hotel, Bangkok
- Hilton Hotel, Kuching, Malaysia
- Mechant Court Hotel, Singapore
- Fairmont Hotel, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.